The beginnings of archaeology in South Tyrol reach back to the time before 1919, to the period of history when today’s South Tyrol was still part of the Habsburg Austro-Hungarian Empire. The special exhibition showed some exciting finds from these early days of archaeology, examined the first few excavations and reported on the early stages of the museum’s establishment. The pioneers and protagonists of these early days had one thing in common: their enthusiasm for local history and the protection of the cultural treasures of the area.
After the First World War the Treaty of Saint-Germain was signed, effectively transferring the area that is today’s South Tyrol to Italy. This political upheaval also left its mark on archaeology; the responsibilities of the offices in charge of monuments changed, moneys had to be reallocated, and the museums took a new direction.
- Project: Lukas Mayr Architekt, Farbfabrik - Philipp Putzer,
- formbar - Laurin Kofler
- Photos: Armin Terzer